Sunday, 19 October 2014

My Problem With Disney Princesses


Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DISNEY. However I have vivid memories of dreaming of being like these classic Disney Princesses and go on amazing adventures while singing about everything as I searched for the love of my life. The problem was I didn't and still don't look like this:


Or this:

Or this:


These women were my idols as a kid but as amazing as their stories are they don't really give realistic advice when it comes to future issues like the classic one of finding love. They loved someone almost instantly, it was eyes meeting, a pretty duet and a marriage proposal. As a child I thought that was how love worked. Obviously I was wrong as y boyfriend and I did not introduce ourselves by bursting in to a heart felt duet about true love. [Insert sobbing noise here.]

I just wished I had been witness to some more realistic stories of what to expect from a relationship.

Also not a single Disney princess has any unwanted fat or flaw, how do these sixteen year old girls never get spots? The only people with some decent curves are villains for example:


I love Ursula! I think she's badass! But when I was a kid she was evil, everything about her the way she looked, the way she talked I equated it with evil.

This is the power these films hold over young children. They are determined to be like a Disney princess and they believe that to find love they need to be as flawless as the people they worship. I dream of a princess with spots and a bit of chub. A princess who could easily be a real person.

The way the media portrays beauty is another topic completely but it starts at the very first image of beauty a child sees...We need to teach young people to embrace themselves as they are and the only way to do that is to show them realistic images from the very beginning.

We drill into 15 year old girls and boys that no matter what they look like, big or small, spots or no spots they are beautiful but why don't we start teaching them that from when they're at their most impressionable?

Does anyone else share my opinion? Let me know in the comments! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love Disney too but I definitely see where you are coming from with this post, the princesses are always so typically beautiful with the villains always being strange looking - it's so crazy!

    Salt and Chic // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing, I feel like people would love Disney just as much if the princesses were just a teeny bit more normal!

      Delete